Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Guiny joined her friends Lotje, Suus and Tea

Below you will find my (Mieke's) memories of Guiny and Suus.
Eventhough Suus was not a SCAMPS yet i would like to remember her as well,
she did become a LAPS piggie though!

"Hi fellow guinea pig lovers,

It is with a very sad heart that i have to let you know, my oldy Guiny and my sister Janneke's Suus went over the bridge.

I am currently pig sitting Janneke's piggies. We noticed that Suus was a bit quiet and did not eat her chicory very well. On saturday evening the 24th of october, I was going to clean the cages, and we noticed Suus was weak.
She was breathing heavily and did not respond very much to her surroundings.

We thought it might be gas so gave her some medicine for that and we tried to syringe feed her some Critical care. She might have swallowed some of the first CC, but did not do that for the
second feeding. So all signs went red for us, having experienced this with Toby. Though she
did not seem in such a bad condition, as when Toby died.
I called the vet (they have an evening an weekend emergency phone number),
and had to convince the vet to let us come over. The vet said I did a good thing by bringing Suus to her. She took her in and Suus stayed overnight.
The vet heard fluids on her lungs, which according to her could be either lung troubles or heart problems. They gave Suus some antibiotics and something to get rid of the fluids, Suus was having trouble breathing and was put in an oxygen pen. Unfortunately she did not make it to the next morning. I felt very bad, but was told by vet this was the best I could have done for Suus.

I have known Suus since she was a little girl, she has lived together with my girls Lotje and Guiny. So it felt and still feels like losing one of my own.

Then 2 days later, on the 27th of October, Guiny left us for the bridge. I have to say she was already 5,5 years old, and she was slowly loosing weight. But until half an hour before she died she was still eating and active and seemed happy. My boyfriend Erwin went to give all the piggies, I had 6 then: My Guiny, Dunya, Woopy and Chico, and Janneke's Igor and Yaya, their evening veggies.He noticed at once though Guiny came to get her carrot, that something was
wrong. She had taken 2 bites and then left the carrot. She was breathing heavily, and Erwin picked her up from the cage. We knew at once it was bad, having seen Suus get worse on saturday.
I held her in my arms and told her it was okay to go. We told her we loved her, and I told her about the rainbow bridge. I told her to say hi to Lotje, and tell Suus that we and Janneke miss her. and to say hi to all the other piggies. I also told her she would hear perfectly again when she was there (she was hard hearing). And told her Peter and Debbie would be there to take care of her if she needed it. I also told her to teach the other piggies over the bridge her smart tricks, she was the one who knew how to open a door, when it was slightly open. She once sat next to Lotje who was eating a carrot and started gnawing the carrot, right next to where Lotje was gnawing. She eventually ran away with the biggest piece of the carrot she had munched
her way through. She was gone within half an hour...
I still feel sad about my precious lady Guinyvere leaving us, but she had a good and pretty long life with me and later with me and Erwin. Since she was gradually loosing weight this did not come totally unexpected. And I feel, eventhough i did not like loosing her, this was the best way to part with my precious girl. She knew she was loved, and we had a chance to tell her that and tried to comfort her and tell her it was okay...

We have buried them in my mom's garden last sunday. They are buried together, and near to where Lotje was buried.

I'm sure the girls, will be partners in crime over the bridge. I remember the one time when i was going to eat a sandwich in the living room. The girls were having floortime, and I had to get something, so i put my sandwiches on the mattress that was on the floor. When I did that I even thought 'I should not do this, but hey I'll be back really fast'. When I came back Suus and Guiny had stolen my sandwich, and were hiding under a chair, munching on my sandwich...
I will miss you girls!!

Mikey,
and the remaining Winky girls: Dunya and Woopy
my valentine: Chico
And Janneke's piggies currently staying over: Yaya and Igor."

And my sister Janneke's memories of Guiny and Suus:
"Hi Gpdders,

My sister wrote a beautiful tribute yesterday, so I guess I finally have to face the music and write my tribute to 2 of my favorite pigs ever. They do deserve that.. I've been putting it off because not writing it down makes it feel less real (I'm sort of on a holiday and Yaya and Igor are still at mieke's house, so there's no empty space in a cage..)

Guiny..
When mieke decided to go to the czech republic, I agreed to look after Guiny and Lotje for 6 months. I never had a guinea pig addiction before, but oh boy, did these 2 girls get me addicted. I soon noticed guiny was quite clever and I really enjoyed (as did she) ' inventing' new puzzles and games for her (many of the games in Igor's PLAY's were invented for guiny; http://www.guinygirlz.nl and yes.. that adress wat named after her; just like my own gmailadress). Guiny also really enjoyed it when I was belly dancing (she would put up her paws against the edge of the cage and watch me with a smile), I think she thought that it was my way of popcorning and running in circles. The funny thing was that she liked shakira's music the best. I never knew pigs had musical preferences until then. What I loved most about her was the big smile she could give me when she saw me (even when mieke and the pigs moved to erwin's house she still remembered me). I know she was not my pig but she sure felt like it.

Suus..
When guiny and lotje went back to mieke after her stay in the czech republic (she returned shortly afterwards with her pigs) I felt really lonely without guiny and lotje. I was going through a rough time back then, having broken up with a rather abusive boyfriend a few months before and I was sometimes so scared out of my brains when I heard sounds or whatever (before that I just thought, aaw.. that's just guiny or lotje). Then one day a girl I knew through my ex (and had become a friend) phoned me and told me she had a pig for me. The little pig had siblings, but according to my friend, this pig was so sweet, that she really wanted me to have her because she thought were were meant to be together (suss = german for sweet; the friend was german; i'm dutch).

I think she was right. Suus was my girl all the way. More than any of my pigs ever were. In the beginning we were both so scared that we bonded very strongly. Suus wasnt a cuddle pig, but when I felt bad she would wheek until I would pick her up and she would put her nose firmly in my neck and lick the tears away. Suus was always a very active, lively, vocal pig and lots of fun. Maybe not cuddly, but she did enjoy human interaction a lot. She was never sick. I would always call her 'hollands glory' which is an expression in dutch to say that someone's very wholesome/healthy. I never expected her to leave so soon, although i know she is 4 years old. She was just always so healthy. I still cannot believe that she is gone, and to be honest, I dont feel like that either (which is weird because when Jan the Boar died I cried my eyes out) I guess that blow will come when I have Yaya and Igor back with me... I don't know... I lost a little, yet significant part of me, she would always comfort me, but she is not there anymore..

Janneke"

No comments: