Saturday, October 11, 2008

Soulage



My name is Soulage, which means "soothe" or "relieve" in French. My slave named me that because I was a survivor of a terrible massacre, by dogs, in May 2003 of 5 of her masters, three of whom were excellent wheekers, and also longhaired like me. I was only boarding with her at the time, although she had rescued me with my mother, siblings and many aunts and uncles in January 2003 as a suckling piggie, from a terrible breeder who was letting us freeze to death in temperatures of minus 10 degrees, and even selling some of us to be fed to crocodiles. I know I should be grateful to her, but I wasn't really impressed at the time, because she nicknamed me "Big Ears" because she said my ears looked enormous in comparison with my tiny body!! She only gave us all nicknames, because the plan was to rehome us, and that is what she did. But she was minding me when her 5 masters were massacred, and my adoptive slaves took pity on her when they returned and said she could keep me - wasn't she lucky?!


I am the Top Pig of the Dolly Mixtures, and must be treated with great respect at all times. I am always entitled to my own private pigloo or box, and when we used to be free range in the porch, in my younger days, I used to push my box around the tiled floor whilst hiding underneath it, using it as a little tank to protect me from anything or anyone sneaking up on me - I am a very intelligent pig! Even now, when I am given food, I move my pigloo so it covers the food, then I can eat in peace. However, I wouldn't want you to think I am an anti-social pig, as I do sometimes allow my slave to take me out to comb me. I quite like the fuss and attention, and of course she has to reward me afterwards for my patience or she would never here the last of it - a slice of orange or some very fresh grass suffices, though I am not averse to a tiny corner of toast if she is eating some at the time. I always wait until she thinks she has corrected my wild hair into a style which she thinks is beautiful and put the comb away, then I give myself the biggest shake I can possibly manage to get that bad hair day look I love so much!


If she is very lucky, and it is a chilly day, I sometimes let her keep me on her lap next to the fire whilst she is watching TV. I stretch out my little legs behind and in front of me and enjoy the warmth. Sometimes cats come and join me on the slave's lap, but I am not scared of them - everyone knows I am the Top Pig and not to be messed with! Once I even had to bite my slave, because the stupid woman tried to interfere when I was giving Sable, a cagemate, a piece of my mind (and teeth!) for invading my pigloo. I know she was mortified, but it served her right - she should stick to things she understands! She never held it against me, though, because I happen to know I am her absolute favourite piggie, and she totally and utterly adores me - so I can get away with anything!! She has nursed me through a nasty abscess once, and a urinary infection another time, and sometimes she even baths me to keep me looking beautiful. I will do my best to keep healthy for her and remain a SCAMP for many years, as I know she will be bereft when I finally decide to make my way to The Rainbow Bridge. Although she doesn't know exactly when I was born, she knows it was before 8th January, 2003, when she rescued me, so celebrates my birthday on 6th January; hopefully I will celebrate my 6th birthday on 6th January 2009.

Master to: Debbie
Born on: 6th January, 2003

No comments: