Thursday, June 18, 2009

In memoriam: Pumpkin

Please find below Dee memories of Pumpkin:

"I was working at the library in September, 2005. Everyone knew my husband and I had guinea pigs for pets. One day the animal control officer came to me and asked if I could find a home for a male guinea pig. Seems the owner was going off to college and had no one to care for him. Of course I said yes – then called my husband and he said yes, too. Pumpkin was delivered to me the next day with his cage, wooden house, water bottle and food. I was told he was four years old.

At the time I had two female piggies, Juliet and Peaches. We made room for Pumpkin in the very large cage my husband had built, separating him from the girls with a wire fence. He was rumblestruting at them in no time! My husband has a soft spot for boars and he took to Pumpkin right away. We kept saying we were going to find a home for him, and we did – our home!

Pumpkin was a little guy and a gentle boar. He was in love with Peaches, but she rebuffed him all the time. He took it well and never gave up trying to woo her. At first he wasn’t very good at being a lap pig, always on the go. As he got older and settled down he became a great lap pig. He would settle in through a whole movie and never pee on me. He never got heavy enough to join the LAPS group but was a SCAMP in his later years. He went on a few virtual trips and joined the Jolly Rodents in doing the Rumblestrut Blues to wow the sows any chance he got. Juliet passed in 2007 and we had Pumpkin and Peaches until he passed in April, 2009. He was dearly loved and gave us much love in return. Rest in Peace my little one and wait for us at the Bridge."

No comments: